MINUTES OF AFRICA COORDINATING CENTRE FOR THE ABANDONMENT OF FGM/C MEETING HELD ON 12th APRIL 2023 AT 8:00-9:07 AM VIRTUALY
Prof. Patrick Ndavi – Coordinator ACCAF /Chairing
Dr. Samuel Kimani – UoN- Nursing
Dr. Agnes Meroka – UoN-Faculty of law
Dr. Jacqueline Chesang – UoN- Public Health
Dr. Joyce Jebet – National Defense University- Nursing
Dr. Joyce Omwoha -Technical University of Kenya-Communication
Dr. Angeline Kirui – UoN -Nursing
Vera Asubila -ACCAF Secretariat: taking minutes
1. Restructuring ALM Year 3 Work plan
2. ALM activities
COMMUNICATION FROM THE CHAIR
The chair welcomed members present and updated the members that due to the new budget ceiling there is need restructure the budget due to budget cuts.
Min 1/8/2022: UPDATE ON THE ALM PROJECT
The update was a follows.
– ACCAF needs to refocus on the 3 focus countries to work in, in terms of the planned activities. Countries include Senegal, Ethiopia and Somaliland and where to reschedule activities.
– That the money contracted to ACCAF part of it has been shifted to next year hence the need of a modeled approach on how to use the allocated funds. The cuts were in tunes of UK Pounds 50,000.
– Due to initial contact with the Somaliland dons there is need to draft a work plan and assist where they need help.
– That ALM suggests reduction of activities and retaining of the personnel fees.
• Budget costs of Senegal and Ethiopia to weigh the amounts. Senegal has an estimated budget of UK Pound 40,244.76 and about UK Pound 18,000.00 for Ethiopia.
• That the activities 2.1 Model health facilities to be retained because it’s a flagship project.
• It was suggested to link activity 2.1 back with 1.3 promotion of interface between the trainees and the community and ending FGM through placement in the model health facility.
o In response; they are de- linked because, activity 2.1, will be training other people. But in activity 1.3, will be training undergraduates, nurses, doctors, clinical officers. Who will be the ones going to that facility. Hence the two activities. Although this budget has the weight in the overall budget it is not to be touched since it is quite stretched.
Min 1.1/4/2023 CUTTING DOWN OF PERSONEL FEES:
• It is possible? Every activity has a personnel fee attached to it so when you cut down an activity the personnel fee for that activity is to be reduced. That is, an activity will be moved with its personnel fee.
• Is it feasible for ACCAF staff to undertake these activities? Knowing that there will be no, or, you’ll be paid less, at the end of the day, or you might end up maybe not being paid for some activities.
• In response; that is where worksheets come in where we get the worksheets and we are shown that this is the number of hours you know that you worked and then on the basis of that then a payment is calculated.
• It was later suggested if people are going to be paid less, instead of paying people less, why not distribute the activities by the number of people. Like, if we were to have three people, we have two people, but they are paid adequately.
• In response; we have to look at the activity and see whether in fact, for example, how we have been doing the trainings, do we need all of us there? Or do we now begin to think about saying that, we have maximum three people do the trainings and then we rotate that, because sometimes we are full house when we are training. So it is in agreement that, we need to think about it. But also then the nature of the activity itself will also guide us sometimes you can do it with fewer facilitators. Sometimes you might need to have more people more hands on deck. This suggestion will be looked at later.
Min 1.2/4/2023 SOMALILAND ACTIVITIES:
• There’s need to include another training in Somaliland so as to saturate it. And also at the same time, there was a feedback from Options sent by Angela, that we should also think about monitoring. So it is suggested to go for the training at the same time monitor what is going on? And as we check the Somaliland budget, to check whether it is adequate, to add a budget for another training in Somaliland.
• In response: to check what the dons in Somaliland proposed and shared during the training.
Min 1.3/4/2023 SENEGAL ACTIVITIES:
• Was there a budget line/ activity on translation since the county is francophone? To get in touch with partners in Senegal to get actual amounts needed for this and tweak the training of faculty budget line to accommodate this sub activity.
• It was also suggested to start on some of the activities that are not cost intensive like stakeholders engagement and dialogue.
• It was agreed the Senegal budget to be extensively looked at and see what adjustments to make.
• Re-profile the budget to accommodate the 3 geographies that is Somaliland, Senegal and Ethiopia.
• Senegal budget to be extensively looked at especially on the travel budget line.
• Instead of the whole ACCAF team involvement 2-3 people tasked to amend the budget
• Amounts dedicated to program officer to be moved to boost budget deficit and this position can be filled in Year 4.
• The activity; training of more facilitators in universities in Kenya to be moved to May.
SECTION DATES INCHARGE
1. Re-profile the budget to accommodate the 3 geographies that is Somaliland Senegal and Ethiopia.
Friday 14th April 2023 Dr. Kimani
2. Senegal budget to be extensively looked at especially on the travel budget line. Friday 14th April 2023 Dr. Kimani
3. Check with partner in Senegal on the amounts needed for translation of documents to French Friday 14th April 2023 Dr. Chesang,
4. Communicate directly to the dons in Somaliland Universities in regards to their spread in teaching schedules for undergraduates Friday 14th April 2023 Dr. Chesang,
Min 2/4/2023 SUBCONTRACTING REQUIREMENTS
• ACCAF to request ALM for AACAF’s subcontracting document so as to sign up the documents in good time
Minutes to be uploaded on the ACCAF website.
There being no any other business the meeting was adjourned at 9:07 am.
APPROVED FOR ISSUE: ………………………………. DATE
CONFIRMED: ……………………………………………DATE: …….